Council committee approves permanent changes to Waterloo intersection
Last week we let you know that a Council committee was preparing to decide on next steps for the layouts that have been trialled in Knights Road in 2021. Councillors met on Tuesday 20 July 2021 and approved the recommendations to:
- bring forward the programmed work to better link the Beltway Cycleway to Waterloo Station
- do general repairs and safety improvements which were raised by an independent safety review and the community
- make permanent the trial layout outside Waterloo Station.
These recommendations include a range of recommended repairs and safety improvements to Knights Road, including the introduction of speed calming measures at intersections; surface repairs to footpaths and the road; and safety improvements at crossings.
The Committee acknowledged that Knights Road is a critical link in the network of cycleways and shared paths and that the layout should be considered in the context of the full network. In June 2021 Council announced increased investment in the RiverLink Project and in transport initiatives, including provision for bikes and faster wheels.
As a result of that, the Committee agreed to:
- ask Council officers to produce a business case examining options and cost implications for Knights Road in the context of the wider network for bikes and faster wheels, before a decision is made on the best option for Knights road
- leave the Knights Road trial in place, including the safety improvements, for a period of up to 12 months from July 2021.
The committee decision brings this phase of the Knights Road trial to an end. We would like to say a huge thank you to everyone in the community who helped co-design the trials and shared their experiences.
Our final newsletter is available here .